How to Keep Your Resolution Without Even Trying

And I'm specifically talking about that hoary old chestnut of a resolution to either lose weight or exercise more (one and the same, n'est pas?).

Found it on sci-fi writer Jamie Rubin's fantastic blog, buried about halfway down his post on "How I Work", under "My Best Time-Saving Trick":

"Practical multitasking. I combine exercise and reading into useful mental breaks throughout the day. About three times each day, I leave the building to walk. At 10 am and 3 pm, I walk a brisk 20 minutes or so. At noon, I spent my entire lunch hour walking. While I walk, I listen to audio books. This allows me to get in exercise (the only exercise I get, really) amount to about 100 minutes of “very active” walking each day. It comes out to about 7 miles/day. At the same time, it allows me to read far more books that I have ever been able to do in the past. And it gives me a good mental break from work so that I come back to my desk refreshed."

Already in the habit of taking walk breaks, I found the idea of adding audio books (and, for me, Pimsleur French courses) a great way to forget about mentally tracking (and reviling) how many steps or miles or minutes you're walking and actually get through more of them. Happily.

Well played, Monsieur Rubin. Well played.



7 comments:

Roland D. Yeomans | February 2, 2014 at 12:55 PM

As a rare blood courier, audiobooks help me endure as I drive the grinding miles. I would think they would indeed help pass the minutes on a stationary bike or while housekeeping or walking without adding mentally how many miles you've gone.

It is why I did a few audiobooks of my own works. I use the stairs instead of the elevators and park far out in the lot. Have a great new week, Roland

D.G. Hudson | February 3, 2014 at 11:32 AM

I always used to walk at work during lunch or go to the gym early in the day. Di

D.G. Hudson | February 3, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Fast fingers again, sorry, was going to finish with 'didn't have any audio books, then, that would have been nice. Instead I listened to music I liked. It calmed me down. . .getting healthy in small steps is a good way to tackle it.

vbtremper | February 4, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Hey Zoe! Good luck with those resolutions. And bonne chance avec le francais! Dis-moi si tu as besoin d'aide.

-Vicki (I'm still here!)

Deirdra | June 16, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Hi I'm looking for your contact info for a bookreview/post?
Can you email me at EdenLiterary at gmail dot com

Roselyn Galacio | June 21, 2015 at 11:03 AM

Best bachelor programs in Abu Dhabi
Visit Al Ain University

-blessed holy socks, the non-perishable-zealot | October 24, 2015 at 8:27 PM

Beautifull, tantalizing name, dear:
3 letters... yet, so zinc/wealthy your
copper pennies sparkle in the night.

Why else does a moth fly FROM the night
than to a bold, attractive candle Light??
Don’t let His extravagant Brilliance be extinguished.
You’re creative, yes?
Then, fly-away with U.S. to the antidote…

Whether you obtain morality4mortality to wiseabove
or just glean tantalizing specimens for thy next best seller,
you shall find in our blogs a lotta (subliminal) moxie
which has taken this sinfull mortal yeeeeers to compile!
I lay it ALL out for you, dear, with All-Star-Oxygems:

Wouldn’t ya love an endless eternity
of aplomBombs falling on thy indelible cranium?
An XtraXcitinXpose with no zooillogical-expiration-date?
An IQ much higher than K2 all-go-rhythm?
An anti-establishment, savvy victory +
avant-guarde-humility =
you’re promptly astonished, ain’tcha?
withe extraordinarily explosion of mellowdramatic maelstrom??
Ha. Yeah. Us, too, for eternity.
Here’s what the exquisite, prolific GODy sed
(with a most-excellent-detector of bull§ht):

“Faith, hope, and love,
the greatest of these is love –
jump into faith…
and you’ll VitSee with love”
Doesn’t matter if you don’t believe (what I write);
God believes in you.

Meet me Upstairs, girl, where the Son never goes down
from a super-passionate, lucrative iconoclasm where you’ll find
nonillionsXnonillionsXnonillionsXnonillionsXnonillionsX…
of deluxe-HTTP [<- pi] opportunities for excitement BTW.

Do it. Do the deed, dude. Sign into the Big-Zaftig-House.

PS “It is impossible that anyone should NOT receive all that they have believed and hoped to obtain; it gives Me great pleasure when they hope great things from Me and I will always give them more than they expect”
-our Lord Jesus to Saint Gertrude

Post a Comment