Did you quit on that MS?

Came across an interesting piece on quitting this morning. Resonated cuz I've quit on an MS or two. Current MS is treading water in the wide Revision Sea. Momentum temporarily exited stage left. Which feels like quitting lite. BUT...



Turns out quitting might occur, as this guy posited, much the same way it does when jogging. At first, you're gung-ho out of the gate. Still doing okay, if a little pink-cheeked, mid-run. But as you near the home stretch, your legs and lungs are BURNING in the kiln of pain.


At this point, you start visualizing being done with it. And once you do that, turns out, you're toast. You stop short of your finish line. And that's because, as this guy said:

"When my mind started visualizing the end of the run, it shifted from managing the pain I was feeling to preparing for it to end."

And that's when his resistance fell apart. Huh. So that's why this revision has slowed. Starting to see the finish line. And in preparing for the relief at the end, I feel acutely the pain, fear and doubt of the work still left to be done. I'm no longer managing those stressors now; I'm focusing on them.

So. Time to shift my attention. Time to refocus on managing those stressors with good pacing, positive thoughts. Strength. The hope and non-existent wind-resistance of those starting days. Joy, even. So that, at this last stretch, I don't quit. So that instead...

I break that fucking finish line ribbon like a freakin' champ.

So what about you? Feel like quitting? If so, did this help? Provide some 11th-hour stamina like a protein pack slapped into a marathoner's hand at the 24-mile mark? Shit, yeah! So, go! Go! GO!

5 comments:

Sarah Ahiers (Falen) | February 10, 2011 at 12:35 PM

GENIUS metaphor. It makes total sense

Alex J. Cavanaugh | February 10, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Break through, Zoe! Don't let that MS beat you.

Hannah Kincade | February 10, 2011 at 12:58 PM

So THAT explains it!! I hope this helps light a fire under my butt...

Misha | February 10, 2011 at 1:01 PM

I agree with Falen.

While not quitting now, I have to learn to manage the pain better.

:-D

Matthew Rush | February 10, 2011 at 1:45 PM

I haven't seen you for AGES! What's been up? Why have I been missing your posts? Have you been blogging?

As to your post what does it mean if I'm not visualizing the end (good, right?) but also just not getting much done in the middle either?

Just kidding.

Post a Comment