On Being A Brown Recluse...

So what if my introversion is a knitted body tube? You got a problem with knitted body tubes? Huh?
Yanno, many a week'll go by without an update here; I think I'm averaging about five posts per month. I routinely forget to check RallyStorm to see what's coming up for my Sisterhood of the Traveling Blog chain. I get around to checking my blog roll updates only rarely. Commenting on blogs? A scarcity, lemme tell you.

Also, I NEVER answer the phone (Hubs'll call a thousand times before I pick up; he'll stare when the ringing home phone fails to rouse even a flicker in my eyes; my son, Gabriel, will race to my cell when it beeps with an incoming text alert, absolutely boggled that I don't seem to care.). And don't get me started on social engagements (they are SO few and far between).

Why venture outside when my head's already teeming with life inside?
So what am I doing with all that time to myself? Being a brown recluse (yes, I'm brown, AND can be particularly venomous when need be). If I'm not writing, I'm reading. When I'm not doing that, I'm jogging or working out a couple times a day. Damn you, scary all-day sitting!)

Though I'm happy to haunt the rooms of my house, which is isolated in itself, way out in rural Georgia (I'm talking cow country, y'all) -- I do have moments of guilt. Gee, Z, you really should read more blogs. Answer the phone. Meet friends for dinner. (Working on the latter: seeing Alesa Warcan soon for BBQ & shenanigans!! *waves to Alesa*). Most times, the guilt goes sidewinding away after a bit.

Other times, I look elsewhere to justify my reclusivity. To wit: a fellow kindred recluse, Danielle Steel. This is what she had to say about hiding out at home when writing (part of a post on her writing process).

"I don’t talk to anyone..., don’t return calls, don’t see anyone, and don’t leave the house. I go from my bed to my desk, to my bathtub at the end of my workday, then back to bed, and then back to work. I work about 20 to 22 hours straight, sleep for 3 or 4 hours, and then go back to work. And I do that until I have told the story and the first draft is finished."

So, at least it's not just me. Though, even if it were, I'd be nowhere to be found when it came time to explain myself. Cuz it's just me. What about you? Introvert? Extrovert?

16 comments:

Alesa Warcan | October 4, 2010 at 11:43 AM

::Waves back:: Heya Zoe! I'm loading my blunderbuss with paperclips and sarcasm for any shenanigans that might crawl up at us. ; j

Your phones ring?!
Ha, I guess you're still one up on me.

Lots of writers are introverted creatures of seclusion.
I may not be a writer but my apartment has a crypt: nice dark and quiet underground room... No one can hear the screams, the music, the guitars, practice chanters, or even the djembe! I just quietly spent my weekend watching horrible movies... Erm horror movies. A bit of both really, though even the horrible ones were entertaining enough.

I say the knitted body tube needs to be fitted with hooks so that it can double a hammock! And as the informercial says "The knitted full body tube: snug, comfortable, and doubles as a body bag in a pinch!"

Or maybe seclusion is a kind of cocoon... One that we'll emerge from as giant asocial moths, powdering the world with the stuff of dreams at night, and eventually getting our furry asses toasted in someone's campfire, or a bugzapper, or squished on a windshield... Or maybe we'd mutate into cousins of mothra! But lets not get ridiculous(er?)...

j.leigh.bailey | October 4, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Oh, I'm an extrovert when it comes to the day job, but when it comes to personal/social time, I'm a total introvert. I'm suddenly quiet and shy and more than content to just hang out at home doing my thing. :D

Alex J. Cavanaugh | October 4, 2010 at 12:57 PM

I'm definitely an introvert, but I try to keep up with stuff online.

That knitted outfit cracks me up, too!

Hannah Kincade | October 4, 2010 at 1:15 PM

I'm an introvert but many people mistake me for an extrovert. I hide it well. :D

Lizard301 | October 4, 2010 at 1:42 PM

You've hit the nail on the head, Z. I'm right there wichya. TOTAL introvert except with a handful of close friends and family, and I'm so bad that I'll put off a quick trip to the store for DAYS simply because I'd rather not go out. Of course, the weather doesn't help. It's been raining so much I feel I should be building an Ark. Unlike you writers, however, my peace stems from the kitchen. No surprise that I love to cook and always have. And I usually only break out of my shell to update my status on Twitter, FB or my blog when I have to fuss about something (which will be happening later on today.)

I love that the periodic connections via the interwebs keeps me connected by a thread with very little effort on my part. The quiet of my sanctuary is so nice I'll put off going to sleep because I'm enjoying it so much. And I'll only listen to music, watch tv or whatever when my happy place is invaded by the other housemates. Don't let the guilt get to you. You are who you are, and those of us that know you love you, the REAL you, in all your brown reclusive glory.

Janet Johnson | October 4, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Love the knitted tube. :)

I can be both, but I lean towards introvert for sure.

lbdiamond | October 4, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Yup, introversion is so tempting. I'd much rather be inside my head. But the world won't let me!

Personally, balance helps keep things in perspective. Don't get me wrong, I love to throw myself headlong into something that fascinates and intrigues me. I could spend 24/7/365 doing something I love, BUT I miss out on other things that are just as important. Don't forget to strive for balance in all that you do. ;)

Milo James Fowler | October 4, 2010 at 3:12 PM

As a jr. high teacher, I have to play the role of extrovert Monday - Friday. As a writer, I've been an introvert most of my life, but blogging for the past ten months has made it seem less the case as I've shared the process with fellow writers around the world.

Look out Snuggie: you've got some new competition...

Elliot Grace | October 4, 2010 at 4:20 PM

You're doing fine Zoe:)
Soon as I get home...I'm a recluse as well. If someone wishes to get in touch with me, they'd better send a text, because I won't be answering the phone. Would prefer tossing them out the window on a rainy day.

Roland D. Yeomans | October 4, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Are you a writer? Of course you are. So you write. Any excess time is for other things.

Your friends will understand. And if some people don't, guess what that says about them.

Reading blogs will not get us published. Finishing our novels might.

Yeah, might. No promises in this dream of ours. I wish you luck in your publication dreams, Roland

Rayna M. Iyer | October 4, 2010 at 11:47 PM

I always thought I didn't need people, but having been without them (and not out of choice either) for a couple of months, I realise I need people to function.

Love the photograph, BTW.

L. Diane Wolfe | October 5, 2010 at 11:33 AM

I answer my cell phone, but ignore the home phone whenever possible.

Nate Wilson | October 5, 2010 at 11:53 AM

I'm an extrovert in an introvert's body. I suppose this is why I entertain via the written word more than the spoken one. (Not to say I only use one word at a time. I sometimes use four, even five words at a clip.)

There's nothing wrong with being reclusive. As long as you're enjoying yourself, who cares what others think?

Shainer | October 5, 2010 at 11:55 AM

I tend to lean toward focused obsessiveness (tunnel vision as my Mother calls it); once I begin writing my personal life goes into a holding pattern, answering only to my characters. I think its the love a writer has with their story and the personal attachment we have with our characters. Just remember when you get to the end take a breather and celebrate with those who mean the most to you.

Alleged Author | October 5, 2010 at 9:02 PM

I wish I could find the strength to workout a couple times a day. No wonder you look so fab!
I am out and about right now while I am playing around with a new idea.

Carolyn V. | October 6, 2010 at 11:48 PM

I was just thinking this week how much I enjoy time all by myself. I wondered if it's normal, but I think most writers like to be alone. At least I do.

Post a Comment