Courage, you.

Since my last post was a big black ingress into the equally big and black tumble dryer of my mind when it's blazing with big, black things (like frustration, fear and mistrust of one's own process), I thought I'd do a drive-by post offering something bright and magnificent: courage.

Also, thanks to Daryl Gregory's PANDEMONIUM (dudes, buy it now, run quick, I'll wait) I'm freshly inspired.

Anyway, here's editor Alan Rinzler's toasty post on building some courage. An excerpt:

"Appreciate the difficult things you already know how to do, like teaching a class of unruly teenagers, climbing a tricky trail, or writing a letter to someone who owes you money. Or skydiving, for the adrenalin junkies out there!  That mythic, over-the-edge leap into the abyss.

This accomplishes two things: If you pick the toughest thing you’re able to do that isn’t working on your book, it’s relatively easier to sit alone in a room and move your fingers over the keyboard. And it can poke up the can-do confidence and bravery thermometer in your head. That may stimulate some wild new idea to escape your unconscious."


Good words, right? Right. Back to work with me, now with bonus(!) courage. Be brave, folks.

3 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh | October 21, 2010 at 5:06 PM

I'm working on that courage right now!

Indigo | October 22, 2010 at 9:57 AM

I battled a lot when I went deaf, it took enormous courage to learn to communicate with the world at large again. Whenever writing gets tough, I consider my deafness and let my fingers loose. Nothing will ever be as difficult to process as that. (Hugs)Indigo

Milo James Fowler | October 22, 2010 at 8:10 PM

After teaching unruly jr. highers all week, I appreciate: "If you pick the toughest thing you’re able to do that isn’t working on your book, it’s relatively easier to sit alone in a room and move your fingers over the keyboard." True that!

Post a Comment