Sweating Through Writer's Block

The inimitable Carol Kilgore of Under the Tiki Hut fame has courageously offered me this award:


I say courageously because the award involves sharing seven things about yourself - and anyone who opens up to floor to yours truly is a brave soul indeed :D

But because I'm so damned contrary (thanks dad - you said it best!), I'm gonna do it differently. So in a red-faced, panting, sweating, cursing and oh-my-god-my-legs-are-falling-off twist, I offer you my best seven tips for breaking through writer's block, in lieu of seven random tidbits about me :D (Awardees at the end.)

Sweating Through Writer's Block
 
1. Get your ass up from the computer. Then, do what I do every day:
2. Walk. (I jog/walk 2 miles every a.m.) Then watch the ideas pour out like sweat and curses.
3. Later, do 3 sets of 10 girl push-ups. (This is especially great if, like me, the Huffington Post terrified you about the dangers of all-day sitting.)
4. After push-ups, do 3 sets of 10 dips. (Start with 5 if it sucks.)
5. Yes, dip right off the coffee table. (Ignore the cats. Bemused little fuckers.) Then plank for 30 secs.
6. Imagine the burn in your abs is writer's block. Burning's for pussies anyway. (Didn't I say ignore the damn cats?) Then: 
7. Finish up with 3 sets of 10 squats.

By the time you're done, you'll feel so freakin' bionic that NOTHING is gonna stand in your way. (Definitely not no pansy-ass writer's block.) Or you'll feel that everything's gonna stand in your way because now, thanks a lot Zoe, you can't even stand at all. (Fucking quivering quads.) 

BUT. Your blood'll be pumping furiously, delivering lovely little oxygen fruit baskets to your brain, which'll charm the PANTS off the block and it'll cave. See if it doesn't.

Srsly, every time the MS just won't be-freakin-have, I move. Works every time. What doesn't work every time is my adherence to blog award rules. NO ideer how many folks I'm 'posed to pass it on to, but here's 3:

1. Alesa Warcan. Dude. You need more than one award for putting up with my non-responsiveness. :D Especially when you went and made me an amazing award like this!! Thanks! See u at Fox BBQ in October!

Explosions. Gore. And my name. Sigh. Alesa, you get top marks. Thanks!

2. Alex J. Cavanaugh. This blogger with such eclectically cool movie interests kicks so much ass. And I loved his blogging tips from his recent series. I definitely want to know seven new things about him.

3. Laura Diamond. Because, as I said in a comment yesterday, Laura gave me such a boost with an Up and Coming Blogger feature way back when. Never forgot that. Thanks, Laura!

So whatcha sitting around fer? Get up, get your blood moving and elbow drop the crap outta writer's block!!

 

23 comments:

Alesa Warcan | September 14, 2010 at 7:15 AM

Congrats all round for all the blog love! : j
I absolutely agree with you that a sound body is instrumental to using our minds to their full potentials. Mens sana in corpore sano as those kooky romans used to say. : j

What are girl push ups? Does it involve dry lifting little girls?
A man walks into a bar boasting about his ability to benchpress 300 pounds, a woman shouts him down saying that it means nothing until he has tried bench pressing screaming and clawing 16 year olds. The man leaves in shame and asks his trainer how to do girl push ups.

Vicki Rocho | September 14, 2010 at 7:24 AM

hahaha....love this! Lovely little fruit baskets for the brain. That's priceless

rickischultz | September 14, 2010 at 7:36 AM

YES.

Candyland | September 14, 2010 at 7:41 AM

Hahaha yeah I hate when the cats watch me do weird stuff like push-ups...

Liza | September 14, 2010 at 7:56 AM

I'm going to try a plank today. Bet I'll be on the beginner's version.

Renae | September 14, 2010 at 8:05 AM

This was such a great post! And so true, everyday when I get home I set out walking and I do get a ton of great ideas. I have to quick scribble them down before I jump in the shower and get the weird faces from my family, but oh well!

Christine Fonseca | September 14, 2010 at 8:07 AM

Congrats and a GREAT POST Zoe!!!

Stina Lindenblatt | September 14, 2010 at 8:07 AM

Ooh, I love this advice. I agree with you on the running. It's amazing how the ideas flow when you run. Maybe that's why I love to fun first thing in the morning (after the kids have gone to school). It sets me up for the rest of the day. :D

Piedmont Writer | September 14, 2010 at 10:04 AM

I have finally gotten to the park in the mornings and walk a measly mile (because I'm building up to two) but it's uphill and around the pond 3 times. Yeah, my legs are shaking when I get back in the car.

You're right, I feel ALIVE! And then I hit the keyboard for more awesomeness. Go Zoe!

Laura Marcella | September 14, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Love this! Exercising really does help give me an energetic boost, physically and mentally!

Nicole Zoltack | September 14, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Congrats on the award! And I'm not even sure I do girly push ups right, how sad is that?

Roland D. Yeomans | September 14, 2010 at 12:35 PM

For me it is bike riding that jogs me through writer's block. Or listening to gypsy guitar while reading passages from my favorite authors or poets. Sometimes watching a DVD on the subject I'm writing jump-starts the muse.

As always you have a fun post, Roland

Clarissa Draper | September 14, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Okay, okay, okay. I'm going!

CD

Alex J. Cavanaugh | September 14, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Thanks, Zoe! Hope I can think of seven interesting things...

Hannah Kincade | September 14, 2010 at 2:52 PM

LOL! That's awesome. I love doing yoga when I'm blocked. It gets me breathing and as soon as I'm calm and zen BAM! the flood gates open.

Congrats on your award!

Deb Salisbury | September 14, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Congrats on your award!

I love your cure for writer's block. It may be a bit extreme for this wimpy old lady, though. ;-)

Carolyn V. | September 14, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Congrats on the awesome award! I do #2 everyday too. Sweet!

lbdiamond | September 15, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Yeah, so I'm gonna dump my treadmill and try this workout! :D

Thanks for the award, Zoe! *blushes*

Danyelle | September 15, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Congrats on the blog award!

Hah! I think I could safely said I would feel dead at the end of that. But yay for finding something that works well for you!

Milo James Fowler | September 15, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Great ways to overcome serious blockage!

And hey, I've got an award waiting for you at my blog...

Olivia J. Herrell | September 16, 2010 at 11:21 AM

Hey Zoe, I love this post and I'm till grinning. Next time I get stuck I'll try your workout. In the meantime, I need to get my lazy bum outside and walk. It IS finally getting cooler in the a.m. and p.m. so now what's my excuse??

We ever getting the GA writers together? I think that's such an awesome idea.

Congrats on your award and A+ on your delivery! ~that rebel, Olivia

Carol Kilgore | September 17, 2010 at 12:32 AM

Good job, Zoe! Sweat 2, 3, 4. Repeat. Make it happen :)

Jayne | September 22, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Hi Zoe - I came over from Under the Tiki Hut, and saw you were one follower away from 200, so I couldn't help but click the friendly little button. :) Besides, your way to get through Writer's Block is flippin' awesome - and a sure-fire way to get rid of W.A (writer's arse).

Post a Comment