Waiting = Woodsheddin'

Yoo-hooooo! Yeah, so it's me, and it's blog chain time. Topic:

How do you deal with waiting?

Foist of all, make sure youse check out Laura's, Lydia's and Danyelle's tricks for getting through da wait between query responses, critiques or revisions.

Me? Though I haven't been through a query cycle yet, I *haz* waited for a critique, and I definitely haz a plan to handle the 30-day quarantine of my MS. And the way I deal with it is by working on whatever's at hand. See, for me, waiting is

wood-sheddin' time.

wood-shed-ing [wood-shed-in]
- noun
1 :  craft-building work between WIPs that includes confidently writing & submitting short fiction, mowing through To-Be-Read pile, and transferring focus to sparkly new MS idea Zoe remarkably found the discipline to avoid during drafting of previous MS

2 : slow-dawning realization that the Previous MS is like deranged aunt hidden family-secret style in the turret and who appears to be safely tucked away from public view but who makes increasingly alarming thumps and bodily sounds when anyone comes to the door

3 : even slower-dawning realization that you do not, in fact, have a turret

4 : a rapid downward spiral of coffee, Internet blockage for Gmail's plausible deniability, and the consuming of any and all refined carbohydrates whilst realizing original definition of wood-shedding may have been delusional and, in fact, rather indicates that you, lovie, may actually be the deranged aunt in the turret that you do not, in fact, own, but that is part of the skyline of the Regional Residential Treatment Center For The Criminally Insane, Turret-Less, or Those Who Speak Creepily In Second Person.


### USES LURE OF RAY BRADBURY BELOW IN PLACE OF ARTFUL SEGUE ###

Yeesh. So I actually *did* intend to write a serious post about my serious wood-sheddin' plans, and while I do actually have a packet of four short stories to carry me, one story per week, through my MS's 30-day waiting period, and while I do have a pipeline of about five novels from which to choose my next adventure...

...the fact is I'm not sure what in hell I'm gonna do when it's time to wait. All I can do is what I always do:

1. Focus on what's at hand. The next short story? That sounds good.
2. Be easy on myself and forgive myself my writing trespasses, which will no doubt extend to waiting.
3. Cheer myself up with Ray Bradbury's sexy, unabashed boxer-short style. Man's a rock star. 




13 comments:

Rayna M. Iyer | August 25, 2010 at 3:29 AM

Happy and Productive waiting.
I had honestly never heard the term woodshedding before, but it has a certain honest ring to it.

Christine Fonseca | August 25, 2010 at 7:56 AM

ha! Love that...

lbdiamond | August 25, 2010 at 8:42 AM

LOL! This is great! Yeah, waiting's a bitch, ain't it???? Hard to be still and just...be.

Great post, lady!!!! :D

Lydia Kang | August 25, 2010 at 9:24 AM

Girl, you are SO funny. You had me with the deranged aunt!
You are better than a cup of coffee and a belly tickle this morning.
;P

Zoe C. Courtman | August 25, 2010 at 9:53 AM

Hey, Rayna! Thanks for popping into my momentary lapse of reason - err, I mean my post on waiting :D Wood-sheddin' is how I think of craftwerk, yanno?

*giggles* thanks Christine!

Hey, Laura! I keep trying to "just be" but that deranged aunt just won't be still - unless she's shackled...

Morning, Lydia! Ooh, I've finally ascended the pinnacle and tossed coffee off the mountain! I'M KING OF THE MOUNTAIN!! (oops, sorry. Coffee just kicked in :D)

Matthew Rush | August 25, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Blogging helps me a lot. That and trying to help other writers. Makes me feel human.

Also, Bradbury is the man. My daughter is reading 451 for her ninth grade lit class. How cool is that?

Zoe C. Courtman | August 25, 2010 at 11:33 AM

It makes you feel human - and AWESOME! What you're doing with your query experiment is kick-ass. So is Bradbury - and the fact that he's part of high school required reading!!

Roland D. Yeomans | August 25, 2010 at 2:05 PM

One of the best compliments ever given me (though I did not believe it fit) was from my best friend, who is a harsh critic, that my writing reminded her of the best of Ray Bradbury.

If only.

Now, I strive to one day be worthy of that comment. Hope your woodshedding goes smoothly and productively, Roland

Alex J. Cavanaugh | August 25, 2010 at 3:40 PM

You can do it!

Carol Kilgore | August 25, 2010 at 4:16 PM

TBR pile and sparkly new manuscript idea ... I'm there. Love the video. What a nice man, besides being a great writer.

Raquel Byrnes | August 25, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Loved the video...the whole waiting thing is so hard for me also! You're right to do it...but its difficult.

Edge of Your Seat Romance

Alleged Author | August 25, 2010 at 9:18 PM

He IS a rock star! At least you know that, after the waiting, your book will have some awesome feedback!

Vicki Rocho | August 25, 2010 at 9:20 PM

Well, you can come visit all of us across the blogosphere while you're waiting. We'll distract you and fast-forward the timeclock!

Post a Comment