Wanna Ignite A Teen Reader?

EDIT: So, totes forgot about my own blog chain (whaddya want from me? I'm logging ten-hour writing days here). Anyway, what makes it really bad is that the question for this month's chain, answered already by Laura, Lydia and Danyelle, was my own. So this week's question is:

Got any weird writing habits? 

I actually only have one or two. Okay, maybe three. And they mainly have to do with helping me strap in and get started:

1. If the going's tough, I get a totem. Usually it's one or two rings for my right hand. Just a little silvery gleam, but it makes me become aware of my fingers, which equals a little focus. 

2. I muse. A lot. My favorite part of my daily writing process is all the freakin time I spend on my back porch, pondering. Isolation's key for this writer.

3. I hate laptop keys. While I can write on 'em, and have done quite a bit, I much prefer the thockity-thock of PC keys to the thickety-thick of laptop keys. So if I'm in a rough spot, I default to texture.
That's it. Huh, looking at it, it doesn't seem so strange. What about you? Got any funky little habits to make the words come? If not, then it's back to my previous post for today, which is:

UNDERSTANDING THE TEEN READER BRAIN a.k.a. SCOTT PILGRIM




Yeah, it's Scott Pilgrim and, yeah, it's a movie. Comes out next month. Know who've been TEARING THEIR HAIR OUT for it to fine-a-lee be released? My 13- and 15-year-old boys who've been reading, sharing, breathing and re-reading Bryan Lee O'Malley's graphic novel series for the last year. Yanno, these:




Nintendo power-ups. Epic fight scenes. A slacker bassist hero. Boss battles. Ninjas. Subspace portals. Hot chicks (and I do mean "hot" in the literal sense; my 15-year-old put a Kim Pine iron-on on his pillowcase and pines, please excuse the pun, daily for her mega-hot manga body), chicks with names like Knives and Envy. What's not to go all fanboy over like?

Srsly, each book is like an operations manual for the teenage boy brain (and a whole helluva lot of teenage girl brains, too). Use this intel wisely, my friends...

19 comments:

Alesa Warcan | July 28, 2010 at 7:41 AM

Huh, I've never even heard of this... Have you read them?

Alesa Warcan | July 28, 2010 at 7:42 AM

As research of course... ; j

Matthew Rush | July 28, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Wasn't aware of the Mangas but that movie looks pretty good. Thanks Zoe!

Zoe C. Courtman | July 28, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Hey, Alesa! Oh, man, the SCOTT PILGRIM books BLAZED through all the local teens here, my kids included. They couldn't get enough - and STILL can't.

Hi, Matthew! Yeah, I'm all for seeing it, too. Should be some total out-of-the-box fun!

Alleged Author | July 28, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Heh heh.

Danyelle | July 28, 2010 at 10:53 AM

That's interesting about the totem. I've never thought about that before. :) And I get you on the keys, only I'm the opposite. After using a MacBook Pro for the last couple of years, my fingers can't function correctly on a PC keyboard. >.<

lbdiamond | July 28, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Totems--hmmm, does my iPod count? ;)

Lydia Kang | July 28, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Ahh, yes I have a writing ring too. I loves it!

Alex J. Cavanaugh | July 28, 2010 at 2:48 PM

Scott Pilgrim looks like a really odd film.

Creepy Query Girl | July 28, 2010 at 3:30 PM

I agree with the isolation. I do some of my best musings in the car when someone else is driving. I prefer my laptop keys- probably because I haven't written on a normal computer in months!:) Great post!

Carolyn V. | July 28, 2010 at 5:55 PM

Ha! I love the trailer! Awesome. I will have to check out the graphic novels.

Weird writing habit-I have to have a piece of gum in my mouth when I write, because I'm always thinking of food when I write (don't ask me why, I have no idea).

Lindsay (a.k.a Isabella) | July 28, 2010 at 7:49 PM

Awesome trailer!

My writing habit of weirdness -- I have to write sat on my bed. I don't know why! lol.

Sangu | July 29, 2010 at 10:35 AM

No, I don't think those are weird habits at all - probably pretty darn normal (for us writers, anyway). I share your love of pondering. Most of my time is spend on my ponderings. I have ridiculously long showers because I forget about the soap and ponder instead. :-)

Elana Johnson | July 29, 2010 at 11:19 AM

I just saw the trailer for this on TV last night. I didn't know they were books.

And I spend a lot of time musing too. It's the best thing to do as a writer.

Talli Roland | July 29, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Weird writing habits. Hm. Staring out the window? Not exactly 'weird', but definitely time consuming.

Vicki Rocho | July 31, 2010 at 12:26 AM

I miss the clackety clack of typewriters. LOVE computers, just miss the rhythm of the old technology.

And those book covers made me think of PowerPuff Girls for some reason.

Cipherqueen | July 31, 2010 at 11:49 PM

Never heard of the graphic novels. But then, I AM the teen from Mars. I prefer the keyboard to a laptop one- it's just more... uh... cubic! Yeah... *stares awkwardly into space*

reberto.alberto | August 4, 2010 at 7:55 AM

Hi there!

Shortstorybook.net is organizing a short story writing contest.

We do think that you too might have a marvelous story to tell, one that is your own! So if you can compose it in not more than few words, we would want to hear from you. Also, you stand a chance to get your story published on our site and win cash prize of USD 100.

“Then what are you waiting for? …put on your thinking cap and get writing. For registration and other information check - http://bit.ly/short-story-contest-2010

Happy writing!

empire76 | August 4, 2010 at 10:40 AM

Hey, Zoe. I got your blog address from Danyelle Leafty's blog. Interesting post. I haven't taken stock of anything in particular I do to focus. I think music helps, but I'm always looking for new ways to feed my imagination
(note to self: get a couple of rings)

Empi

Post a Comment