Midnight Drive-By

Okay, guys, listen up. This is a drive-by (literally; tomorrow's post is set to publish at 8 a.m.) It's 12:58 a.m. and I'm wired. Since the introduction of Adderall, whose Dextroamphetamine Border Patrols have put the fuckery of my mental back nine on lockdown, I've been writing like it's my full-time job.

See, I'm whipping a zero draft into an acceptable first. But my Inner Editor keeps chasing me down rabbit holes (she's ultra focused, see: Border Patrol). I shoulda knocked out three chapters today, but only got through one because I was being, yanno, all precious with the words.

That, my darklings, is what second drafts are for.

So right now, to keep my fingers fleet and my Muse accountable, I'm gonna note the time I finish jotting down this post. Within 60 seconds of clicking "publish," I'm going to open my MS. Tackle chapters 25 & 26 - overwriting, weak motivation, missing facts and repeated words be damned. Then I'm going to report back in within an hour. Timed writing, y'all. Timed writing.

Okay. *takes breath*

1:01 a.m. (Ach, the stalling.) I'm goin' in.

UPDATE: It's 2:24 a.m. Yeah, so it's past an hour. And, yeah, I wrapped Chapter 25, but not Chapter 26. But it's still over 1K's worth of new words, and two chapters down for (technically) the day, and I wrote past my Inner Editor. Think I've just found the trick to silence that critical punk. Starting Chapter 26 after I get some sleep. Helloooo, momentum!

9 comments:

Roland D. Yeomans | July 15, 2010 at 2:29 AM

Better 400 words of great prose than a 1000 of forgettable sentences ... right, Zoe?

What did Hemingway write on word output?

“Charlie’s (Scribner’s) ridiculing of my daily word count was because he did not understand me or writing well nor could know how happy one felt to have put down properly 422 words as you wanted them to be."

"And days of 1200 or 2700 were something that made you happier than you could believe. Since I found that 400 to 600 well done was a pace I could hold much better was always happy with that number. But if I only had 320 I felt good.”

See? You're in the company of giants. Roland

Zoe C. Courtman | July 15, 2010 at 2:34 AM

Roland, what in hell are you doing up so late??? LOL. Sigh. Technically, I agree. But I'm taking too long with this draft. Time to get 'er done. Then I can let 'er rest, work on some short stories for a couple weeks, and THEN crack open the MS and start making those sentences shiny. Thanks for the encouragement!!

Piedmont Writer | July 15, 2010 at 7:27 AM

Wow, you really need to get some sleep or leave off the caffeine. Lol. I'm glad you got some work done but not at the expense of your brain cells.

Alex J. Cavanaugh | July 15, 2010 at 7:28 AM

2:30am? Then I hope as I write this you are still asleep.

Alesa Warcan | July 15, 2010 at 8:02 AM

So this is what the serious writerly folk get up to at night. : j
It's really interesting reading about your writing process... And seeing how all these serious writers having completely different ways of going about it. Just watch out for the fuzz when you do these drive-bys. : j

Candyland | July 15, 2010 at 8:31 AM

You're a crazy writing machine!!!!!!

Matthew Rush | July 15, 2010 at 8:55 AM

Good for you Zoe!

Carolyn V. | July 15, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Oh my gosh! You are making me tired! Way to go with the writing! =)

elizabeth mueller | July 21, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Good for you! Hey, when it's rolling, you've gotta do what you gotta do to stay on that wave! Great going, girl!! :D

Post a Comment