INCEPTION in 13 Words

Never have I wanted so much to see a freakin' spinning top FALL.

###

(First, don't forget to pop over to Danyelle's for her take on the writerly rituals that make up the subject of this week's blog chain.)

Okay. So, for INCEPTION, I'm only gonna add my quick two cents, since there are so many reviews already - Nolan's nifty dream-within-a-dream-within-a G.I. Joe snow fort has absolutely freakin buggered the critics. But I will say Christopher Nolan nailed it.

And my reason is simple (minor spoilage?): there came a point at which EVERY EYE IN THE THEATER felt like it was pinned onto that freakin spinning top. And at that point, we all had become grubby story urchins tugging on Nolan's coat-tails with the only question ever necessary in storytelling:

BUT WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!?!?!?

But that's also the point where Nolan lost me -  because I'm not one for a Schrodinger's ending. I despise them. To me, you start a freakin story, it's your freakin job to end it. Don't be all coy and shit. Man up with the ending; it's your goddamned story.

Aside from that, I was hooked. Dudes: DiCaprio! Watanabe! Berenger! Hardy! Caine! Gordon-Levitt! Rao! Murphy! Cotillard!

JEEbus. The talent. Artists like that striving on a story like Nolan's always makes me want to strive better, reach higher, fall harder in my own work. And that, liebchens, is why I haven't been around so much in the blogosphere - I'm working like a mo-fo to craft this novel and end it. Hopefully, I'll pop back up within the next two weeks and get back to visiting blogs and commenting, etc.

Meantime? I luurrrvvee pop culture. Watching other artists freakin making it happen in different outposts of creative discipline just turn me ON. Especially movies. Especially movies. So I might just have to catch INCEPTION again - when I can take a moment from the work.

What about you? Seen it? Gonna see it? Love it? Hated it? Whatdja think?

18 comments:

Falen (Sarah) | July 21, 2010 at 1:02 PM

saw it. loved it. Normally i'm not a fan of schroedinger's ending, ESPECIALLY in novels (if i spend 300 words with you, you'd better give me the ending) but to me, this one was clear cut. I could tell what happened, though it wasn't as clear for my sister

~Nicole Ducleroir~ | July 21, 2010 at 1:05 PM

DYING to see this movie! Can't wait to be able to talk more about it :))

Candyland | July 21, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Hahaha. You're funny. I want to see it but I'm afraid I'll be confused the whole time. I'll wait until it's On Demand:)

Alesa Warcan | July 21, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Haven't seen it... Yet.

Danyelle | July 21, 2010 at 1:13 PM

I hate Schrodinger's endings too. >.< I'm one of those people that needs a clear ending--or at least one that satisfies my questions. :) I've heard a lot of good stuff about this movie. :D

Roland D. Yeomans | July 21, 2010 at 1:14 PM

Aren't all of us living a Schroedinger's ending with each day we experience? Sometimes victory or defeat can be seen in the same moment. It's all in the perspective of the viewer and what he chooses to believe.

I haven't seen INCEPTION yet. Chose sleep and healing over trudging to the theater.

Hope your mid-week is productive and happy. Roland

Alleged Author | July 21, 2010 at 2:48 PM

We're seeing it tonight, and I can't wait!

Lindsay (a.k.a Isabella) | July 21, 2010 at 4:11 PM

Argh, this came out in the U.S the day I flew home. Gutted. Hopefully going to see it soon though.

Alexandra Shostak | July 21, 2010 at 5:00 PM

I really liked Inception, too! :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh | July 21, 2010 at 8:35 PM

I thought it was amazing!
And I saw that top wobble a bit before the scene ended...

Vicki Rocho | July 21, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Haven't seen it,not sure if I dare...I'm such a wuss anymore.

Raquel Byrnes | July 21, 2010 at 11:02 PM

I've always been please with DiCaprio whatever he choses to do. The Beach, Catche Me if you Can, What's eating Gilbert Grape...so I'd go see it on his acting chops alone. We'll see if my kids win out for a trip to Avatar instead. 0_o

Cheeseboy | July 21, 2010 at 11:36 PM

Another + review, eh? Well, I think yours has made me want to see this movie the most.

Tahereh | July 22, 2010 at 1:11 PM

AHHH CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THISSSS

Sangu | July 24, 2010 at 3:19 PM

Haven't seen it, but the trailers make it sound like it's just an action movie with great special effects, masquerading as something clever. I dunno. I know what you mean about endings like that being frustrating, so I'm not sure I want to put myself through that - but I agree, the talent does sound amazing!

Lola Sharp | July 26, 2010 at 9:58 AM

I've seen it twice now...the first for fun. And it was spectacular. I had high expectations, and he exceeded them, for me.
Also, I loved the ending. I like to wonder sometimes. But it def did wobble at the end.

I went the second time to inspect, take mental notes, and analyze. After the first time, I kept saying to Husband, "Do you know how complicated a storyboard that must be?" When I write, I am so character driven that time lines and plot lines are the Hell of my revision tasks. To put together a complicated story like Nolan did, and have it all (mostly--I did find a few errors in timelines on the second viewing) line up, impressed me more than everything else.

Oh, by the way, I'm STILL slogging through Revision Hell, too. Still using my masterful Advanced Procrastinating Techniques. (You worked on any TREES lately?) ;)

Love,
Lola

lbdiamond | July 28, 2010 at 9:18 AM

I liked the film--it was nicely done. As for the ending??? I don't think the totem falls.

Vegetarian Cannibal | August 4, 2010 at 9:36 PM

I LOVED that movie. Loved, loved, loved it! I actually saw it twice! :D

Post a Comment