Stranger than fiction...


See that ugly sucker? Yeah. Turns out it's a giant coconut crab. And it's not alone:


 Mmm-hmm, not sure if I'd be smiling. Fo realz. I'd be looking around for a flamethrower. I hate crabs. You know why? Cuz they look like fucking spiders. OF THE SEA. (And yes, I've seen giant spider crabs. Giant fucking 'bamas.)  I'm talkin' flamethrowers, y'all. Flamethrowers. 



Anyone else having a did-a-chick? dod-a-chock? moment?
Oh, and these photos came from THIS blog.


Anywho, apparently these crabstrosities are all over the southwestern Pacific islands...which was NOT great news for Amelia Earhart, turns out. (Like, gross.)


But you know what bums me out? That horrifying creatures such as those do not exist naturally in my imagination. No. I have to WRACK MY BRAINS to come up with the good, shamblin', scary ones, while trying EQUALLY hard to NOT be DERIVATIVE. (But I'm not bitter. No.)

So imagine my chagrin when I happened upon the pics of those suckers. Sigh. IMAGINE the freakin' horror stories I could come up with if such creatures populated my brain. And even scarier, imagine the SITUATIONS I could create.

Unfortch, scientists are thinking that Earhart met her end in one such horrific scenario. Alone, hungry and desperate on an uninhabited island, yet only 300 miles from her destination. Oh, wait. She wasn't alone. She had her navigator.

AND AN ENTIRE ISLAND FULL OF THOSE FREAKIN' BONE-EATING CRABS.

Night, y'all.

16 comments:

Tahereh | June 4, 2010 at 7:40 PM

THAT IS ONE SCARY LOOKING SPIDER-CRAB-CREATURE

DEAR GOD MY EYESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Tahereh | June 4, 2010 at 7:40 PM

i'm still trembling in the corner.

Zoe C. Courtman | June 4, 2010 at 8:45 PM

LOL - Tahereh! I know, right? *shudders*

Alex J. Cavanaugh | June 4, 2010 at 9:13 PM

You have a fear of crustaceans?
At first I thought it was a spider. Now THAT is horrifying.

Kathi Oram Peterson | June 4, 2010 at 10:06 PM

Oh my stars! Going to have nightmares tonight. Yeah, I've led a sheltered life.

Jaydee Morgan | June 4, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Okay, those pics were pretty yucky but since I'm more likely to run into spiders in my part of the woods - I'll continue to hate them more.

Vicki Rocho | June 5, 2010 at 12:05 AM

OMG! I saw that and thought it was a mutant spider. Who would want to EAT that? ewwww.

Carolyn V. | June 5, 2010 at 1:22 AM

Oh no. I think I'm going to have nightmares now. They are scary lookin'!

Bethany Elizabeth | June 5, 2010 at 6:38 AM

Eeek!
I'm just a teensy bit uneasy to look under my bed now. Sure, I live in the middle of the city, but...
*whisper* those things could be anywhere.

Zoe C. Courtman | June 5, 2010 at 9:03 AM

LOL - gross, right? And I'm over here all, MAN! Why didn't I think of that?? :D

L. Diane Wolfe | June 5, 2010 at 10:25 AM

That is so cool!! Crabs that climb - wow.

Deb Salisbury | June 5, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Wow! I didn't know they think they've found Earhart's - well, not remains, exactly. How awful to have died like that.

But now you know where to find really creepy monsters!

Alleged Author | June 5, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Those really are creepy but also make me think of drawn butter and lemon. Mmmmm

Kristopher and Crew | June 5, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Man, those are kick ass. I LOVE creepy big bastards like this. And I'm with you on the jealousy thing. I make creepy bugaboos in jars for people sometimes and I wish I could think up things this awesome.

Here's my other blog, where I have a few of my sculptures posted. I need to update it more....

Alesa Warcan | June 7, 2010 at 2:01 AM

The scariest creepiest critters out there walk on two legs and study twig technology which produces things like TVs and disposable relationships. : p

That said have you read about komodo dragons? Slow critters that only need to barely nibble on you to get you... Eventually. And since they live on a island, they can simply amble to dropped and rotting corpses... No fast moving chasing nonsense for them. : p

I agree with alleged author, my first thought was, I wonder how they taste. : p

Interesting news about Earhart, thanks for linking to that.

Good luck working on your nightmares. ; j

rickischultz | June 10, 2010 at 12:53 AM

I thought I already commented on this post, but WHOA DUDE!

Post a Comment