Ooh-it! Ooh-it! That's Progress, Baby!

Dudes. Check this out:




Holy shitake mushrooms. I'm in the 90 percents, y'all. Ninety percents! (Mind you, I'm ONLY beginning the last act of the book, though scenes are blocked out all the way until The End, which means I'll have to recalibrate the word count goal. Probably end up being 125K in the first draft - wayyy too long. But that's what revisions are for).

Meantime, I'm celebrating that milestone. That sucker's mine. And it's golden. And you know what helped me get to it this week?

1. Imogen Heap's "Hide and Seek" on repeat. Hypnotic, resonant, perfect for headphones n' writing.

2. Concerta. God bless mind-focusing drugs.

3. The Alliterative Allomorph, who challenged me to pay attention to my daily word counts. (Okay, so I only started yesterday. But at 2,045 words, it was a banner day. Thanks, Jessica!)

4. Steinbeck's advice to writers:
It is not so very hard to judge a story after it is written, but, after many years, to start a story still scares me to death. I will go so far as to say that the writer who not scared is happily unaware of the remote and tantalizing majesty of the medium... Y'ALL. Steinbeck was scared. There's hope for me!!

5. The daily routines of famous writers:
Of Kafka: It is rare that writers of fiction sit behind their desks, actually writing, for more than a few hours a day. Had Kafka been able to use his time efficiently, the work schedule at the Institute would have left him with enough free time for writing. As he recognized, the truth was that he wasted time. Y'ALL. Kafka wasted time. There's hope for me!!

6. Alan Rinzler's blog, which is just always chock full of helpful schtuff.

7. Stina's awesome blast of sunshine directed my way, in the form of a blog award, which I got to choose! (Thanks, Stina!) So, I'm choosing this one, and blasting y'all with its rays:

So, I officially bestow it on each and every one of my followers and friends. No, really, take it! It's yours. I'm serious! Now go and spread some sunshine with it :) Have a productive weekend, y'all. I'm planning to :D

20 comments:

Roland D. Yeomans | June 25, 2010 at 1:42 PM

I'm happy you're reaching the finish line of your first draft. This is truly the hardest part. With this behind you, the revisions will be approached with the knowledge that you have the heart to get them done.

Stay true to your vision, Roland

Shannon Whitney Messenger | June 25, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Whoo Hoo--congrats! The hone stretch on a novel is the best part--imho. Not only are you so close, but you get to watch everything come together and it's like, WOW, I did that!!! Have fun with it.

And have a great weekend!

Tahereh | June 25, 2010 at 2:01 PM

WOO HOO!! CONGRATULATIONS!!

you are a rockstar :D keep up the good work, love!

Liza | June 25, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Hooray for you!!

Carolyn V. | June 25, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Hooray for the 90% *Happy dance!*

Stephanie | June 25, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Congrats!!!!!

Zoe C. Courtman | June 25, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Hi, Roland! I love it when you pop in - you're always so full of kindness, coolness and encouragement. Thanks so much!

Shannon! Sigh. I'm SO happy to be on the home stretch!!

Tahereh!! Oh, MAN, thanks for the lurrve!! I FEEL like a rock star today!!!

Liza - thanks! Starting to think I can actually DO this!!

Hi, Carolyn :D Thanks for dropping by. [:shakes it with you:]

Thanks, Stephanie!!

Tessa Conte | June 25, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Congratulations! You go, girl!

Sandy Shin | June 25, 2010 at 8:02 PM

Yay, you're almost there!

Kathi Oram Peterson | June 25, 2010 at 8:42 PM

I have mixed feelings as I come to the end of writing a book. Big relief, but also I'm sad that my time with those characters is coming to and end. BIG congrats on nearing the end of your book!!!

Amparo Ortiz | June 25, 2010 at 11:09 PM

Go, you! You're almost there!

So what if you end up with 125k? Go to town with that first draft. I'm petty sure you'll kick its butt with your revisions :D Best of luck!

Zoe C. Courtman | June 25, 2010 at 11:19 PM

Thanks, guys! Your support is SO. FREAKIN. AWESOME. Sigh. I love the online writing community :D

Stina Lindenblatt | June 26, 2010 at 12:12 AM

That was my fav award too! I did a happy dance when I got it. Now what I really want is an award with some hot guy on it. :D

Wow, 125 K. Have fun editing it. Mine's 82 K. For YA contemporary, that's pretty long. One of my beta readers wanted me to add 2 more scenes. So not happening. ;)

Rayna M. Iyer | June 26, 2010 at 6:15 AM

Getting so close to the end is a fantastic feeling, isn't it? So what if your end has had to be recalliberated!

Congratulations. And that's a beautiful award, and I am grabbing it, because I wouldn't mind a bit of sunshine in rainy Bombay. The wellies will come in helpful in the rains too.

Lisa and Laura | June 26, 2010 at 9:55 AM

HOORAH!!!!! Good luck finishing up! So excited for you!

laughingwolf | June 26, 2010 at 8:38 PM

grats, zoe... bloody amazing!

fear not the word count, you'll pare it down... when you get to the REAL writing, aka re-writing ;)

Lisa K. | June 26, 2010 at 10:49 PM

That's such a magnificent feeling, isn't it, Zoe? Enjoy every moment of the final stretch. Congratulations!

Olivia Herrell | June 27, 2010 at 1:35 AM

Woohoo!! Look at you go. Thanks for all the encouraging links and quotes. You're awesome. And, I'm pret-ty sure you've got a birthday in the next day or so and that THE END will be such a great present! Happy B-Day!

~Olivia

Olivia Herrell | June 27, 2010 at 1:36 AM

BTW, I'm grabbing her too 'cause I just found out I lost a dear, dear friend and I found out too late for the service. The sunshine will help, thanks. O

OfficeGirl | June 28, 2010 at 12:57 AM

Left you an award too!!

Post a Comment