GOAL!!

This month's blog chain topic, courtesy of Danyelle (already answered so diligently by her, Laura, and Lydia) is about goals. Of course, my ultimate goal at present is to write THE END on the MS. Which would so totally feel like this:

 She shoots, she SCORES! Ha! (No World Cup image for you >:-D)
But you can haz this image from Deviantart's oscarsnapshooter.

But, alas, that goal feels more like this:

Deviantart's p-3e took this pic of that poor, forlorn little goal. Sigh.

That's because DAMMIT! I'm facing down some heavy scenes - and sometimes my goal of finishing this got-damned story seems SO far away (ay-ayy-ayyyy), that it barely stands at all. This goal's all cracked, canted and chipped, forlorn and sagging...sorry. (My melancholia's a chattery sumbitch, isn't she?). Anyway, the upcoming scene's fulla some major, crunchy psychology, scuffed with action and glimmering with a handful of oily, eel-y secrets and, oh yeah, a demon. Which sounds like fun, but is, yanno, a bitch to write.

Sigh.

But thanks to everyone's words of support yesterday as I whined and wrung my hands (thanks, guys! SO needed that!), the word count continues to rise, and I'm working pretty hard at writing despite the doubt-hounds. So maybe a better goal would look something like this:

 Aptly titled "Goal Within a Goal" by salari

Yep, that's a goal as spotted from the fraying net of another goal. For me, this perfectly represents the stages of writing. Just work toward one goal, but keep the next goal in your sights. I'm gonna keep trying that, y'all.

I'm also going to remember that the writing process is whacked out & loopy, rather like this:

from aniboom.com

So that's my other goal this week. To remember that writing is so subjective that no one's ever an expert. Including me. I just have trust the process.

What about you? Got a goal this week? Yeah? Let's hear it!

16 comments:

The Alliterative Allomorph | June 23, 2010 at 10:07 AM

hahaha. Great! You had me laughing out loud at that second photo! Come and join me on a little experiment I talked about today on my blog! :o)

Alleged Author | June 23, 2010 at 10:27 AM

I know you'll be able to write an awesome ending to your ms!

Dawn | June 23, 2010 at 10:29 AM

The end is always the toughest for me to write. Keep plugging, sunshine. You'll get there.

divaluxe | June 23, 2010 at 10:29 AM

I thought about commenting on your last post, but I would have just added more moaning. Unfortunately, I've allowed my doubt hounds to grow very large and loud. Hence, I don't write much at all, anymore.
But, on the subject of goals, I was asked to write four 30-minute, two-act skits for my church's vacation bible school. I couldn't say no (different set of hounds), so I said yes.
Big Goal: Write four 30-minute, two-act skits by July 16.
Smaller Goal-within-a-goal: Write one 30-minute, two-act skit by this Sunday (6/27). So far, I've got a 5-minute draft of act one done.
What have I gotten myself into?

Renae | June 23, 2010 at 10:55 AM

Love the photos, I was laughing so hard at the second one. I hate it when the doubt creeps in and won't go away. That's when I go for a latte and clear my head.

You'll get there, you're so close. Good Luck!

Alesa Warcan | June 23, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Shoot to kill Zoe!
Erm... I meant to score of course. yeah.
I'm betting on you hitting a bull in the eye, and running home... Wait, that can't be right? But it sounds like good horse sense to me. Though there's nothing wrong with horsing around. ;j

Falen | June 23, 2010 at 11:45 AM

no real goals this week. just plugging along on line edits

Matthew Rush | June 23, 2010 at 12:09 PM

You messed me up, posting so early in the morning. Great photos though!

Lydia Kang | June 23, 2010 at 12:47 PM

That's a great goal! How timely given the FIFA world cup and all...
Aaah, stupid me forgot to put a link on my blog to you! I'm going to correct that right now....my bad!

Raquel Byrnes | June 23, 2010 at 1:00 PM

You can do it. Maybe the ending just needs to percolate in your noggin for a bit. It'll be great when its ready.

lbdiamond | June 23, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Great point of having a short-term goal and a long-term goal in your sights! Nice strategy!!! :D

Carolyn V. | June 23, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Hey! You can do it Zoe!

My writing buddy and I decided we needed goals to keep us motivated each week. I'm planning on revising three chapters. I'm half way there! =)

Julie Musil | June 23, 2010 at 8:43 PM

That sad looking goal cracked me up. Dig in, you can do it.

Aubrie | June 23, 2010 at 9:31 PM

I know how you feel! I always have a few of those dreaded scenes toward the end. You can get through it!

Talli Roland | June 24, 2010 at 2:57 PM

The goal for me this week is to finish Draft 2. I'm allllmooooost there!

Danyelle | June 24, 2010 at 3:56 PM

You are made of awesome, Zoe! I loved how you wove the pictures in with the words. Writing is subjective. I think that's part of what makes it so hard. It isn't like memorizing state capitals. It really involves thinking, and not only writing evolves, but each individual person does as well. Great post!

Post a Comment