Caturday Wisdom


Man, as soon as I hop over to icanhazcheeseburger, I spot this pic front and center at the top of the page. What makes it even MOAR snarf-worthy is that I was looking for an image that would capture how I feel at the moment.

And how do I feel at the moment? Powered-down, because I've put in the writing time this afternoon and now it's time to quit and go live for the day - EVEN while the right ending to this one scene I was working on continues to elude me. See, I can quit guilt-free since I know my seething little box of horror'll be there when I get back (toldja; that image nailed it). How do I know this? Silly minion, THIS is how I know:


75314 / 85000 words. 89% done!

That's about 2K more words written inside of one afternoon - an afternoon that comes hot on the chapped, ugly cracked heels of YESTERDAY, in which I was sure my muse had abandoned me forever. But I powered up the MS anyway this afternoon and, lo and behold, I touched 75,000 words, y'all! Now that I'm a measly 10K words (10,000 words! Gasp!) from meeting goal, I can safely stuff my evil muse back into the box for the day - knowing it'll be there when I get back - and go enjoy my Saturday shenanigans.

So where do you store your muse?

I think I'ma keep mine in that thar cardboard box, right under my desk. *kicks it and laughs at Grumpy Muse's angry shuffling inside* 

Now go store your muse and then enjoy your weekend. DO put in some time today. But DON'T spend the whole afternoon endlessly tweaking Chapter Eight. (Trust me on that one.) Put the muse away instead and go live a little. It'll be there when you get back. One caveat (and there's always a caveat, isn't there?): Be sure you do get back to it, even on the weekends (yes, I'm looking at YOU there, with the tee-shirt), so you don't forget where you stashed it. Cheers!

18 comments:

Stephanie McGee | June 5, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Congrats! I love those pics. I could easily idle away an afternoon perusing that website. Have a good weekend!

L. Diane Wolfe | June 5, 2010 at 5:15 PM

That's funny! I just logged on to prepare my Sunday Sillies post of LOL Cats and I see your post first thing.

I love those cats...

Renae | June 5, 2010 at 5:24 PM

Well done on the 75,000 words! My muse seems to rear her pretty little head when least expected. But I just go with it! Love the pix!

Bethany Elizabeth | June 5, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Yay lolcats! :) Ah, how those evil eyes describe my current expression when looking at my WIP. (We're going through a bit of a rough patch.)
Great picture. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh | June 5, 2010 at 7:57 PM

Actually, I was getting ready to write for an hour. Before watching a potentially stupid movie of course!

Deb Salisbury | June 5, 2010 at 9:59 PM

Love lolcats, but I MUST stay out of it. Hours go by ...

Congrats on 75K!

Roland D. Yeomans | June 5, 2010 at 11:56 PM

Congratulations on the pages. Where do I keep my muse? Actually my muse keeps me.

But I find her in a worn volume of poetry. Or I find her strolling through the pages of a work by Roger Zelazny. Sometimes she peeks out at me from a random memory of happier or sadder days that flits across my mind like a cloud shadow across my consciousness.

Thanks for using my question in interviewing Jessica. I am working eight days straight again, and so odd things like the ghost of Raymond Chandler visiting me at midnight happens.

Have a productive Sunday, Roland

Piedmont Writer | June 6, 2010 at 7:24 AM

How did you know I was still on Chapter 8?

I don't think I have a muse. It's more like a smack upside the head. and then I get so much information I can't sort it all out and lose half.

Yes, I will be working this weekend. IF the heat doesn't kill me.

The Alliterative Allomorph | June 6, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Oh gosh you sound like me. LOL. I can stare and stare and rewrite and rewrite one scene for two days straight ... that's bad ...

Tahereh | June 7, 2010 at 1:50 AM

hahaha love that pic!

and congrats on all your progress! the muse is a tricky thing to peg down -- it's so FICKLE!!

Sangu | June 7, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Oooh, well done on all that progress! I love that feeling, where you know you're getting somewhere and the words just rush out :)

Zoe C. Courtman | June 7, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Hey, Stephanie. Thanks for visiting! Yeah, I love me some lolcats; they have a way of making a point :D

Ooh, Diane, that means I have to mosey on over to your blog so I can have MOAR kitteh goodness!!

Thanks, Renae. Sometimes my muse pops in unexpectedly, too. Most times, I'm training myself to court her instead.

Hey, Bethany. THanks for visiting and commenting! Keep at it, the rough patch will end, soon. I find it helps to do something physical, like take a walk. Then the ideas pop into my head and I'm rushing to get back home so I can write it all down!

Kudos, Alex, for getting in some weekend WIP!

Thanks, Deb, for the encouragement! I must say it's pretty cool to have come so far (though tis still much distance to cover. Ack!)

Roland! Ah, poetry rarely does it for my muse, but the odd lyrical sentence will bring her rushing out :D You sure work a lot - I'm jealous at your ability to write while immersed in such a busy schedule. You go!

Hey, Anne! I love a muse that's physically violent :D Nothing like a good smack on the head!!

Ugh, I know what you mean, Jessica! I have to stop myself from endlessly tweaking so that I get some actually forward momentum, yanno?

Hey, Tahereh. Thanks for popping by~and thanks for the encouragement! I can't WAIT to type "the end" on this sucker.

Hey, Sangu! Oh my GOD do I also love that feeling!!

Creepy Query Girl | June 7, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Congrats! I love coming to the close of the first draft- its such an accomplishement.

lbdiamond | June 7, 2010 at 1:44 PM

My muse LOVES the first draft--she hangs out til I type THE END, then she takes a month long vacation and I'm left to start revising solo. Irks me like nobody's business! She comes back all relaxed and tan, and I'm like pale and stressed out. So rude. ;)-

Great post, Zoe! Congrats! :D

Zoe C. Courtman | June 7, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Hey, Creepy! Thanks so much - it FEELS like an accomplishment! Now I'm starting to sweat the revising process, cuz I KNOW there's gonna be a gaping plot hole, or flimsy motivation and some lagging tension here and there. But nothing I can't fix with a red pen!

Hey, Laura. "So rude" - LOL! GREAT muse visual! And I LOVE that first draft momentum. Sigh.

laughingwolf | June 7, 2010 at 3:00 PM

way to go, zoe!

my muse is more sinister... tried to bottle it, but you know how it goes ;) lol

Falen | June 8, 2010 at 11:08 AM

my muse is a crazy drunken fairy so it's not so much "keeping" her somewhere as it is "keeping her away from children" or other innocents

Zoe C. Courtman | June 8, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Thanks, laughingwolf. I love a sinister muse :D

Hey, Falen! Thanks for popping in! I love the drunken fairy. Now I have the strange visual of a tiny, be-winged creature lurching in the boozy, fighting sway of drunken master Kung-fu. Now THAT'S awesome :D

Post a Comment