A Cunning Word Choice - What's Yours?

So here I am, a-struggle to get some darkness down on the page, make this tight little scene set in this tight little corridor as off-kilter, as claustrophobic, as possible. Just need a certain atmosphere, see? Oh, come on, come up the stairs with me and have a look. *flaps hand impatiently* Come on. I know it's dark up here, but it's nifty, I swear.

Here, take this. Now shine the beam there. No, there. At the end of the corridor.

See that tiny black closet set into the diagonal wall? Almost unnoticeable, right? Yeah. My heroine didn't notice it, either - until she did (much too late, I might add).

Anyway. This closet at the outset - is it unobtrusive? No. Deftly-designed? Hurm. Shadowy? No. This closet? I think it's


Ah, yes. Cunning little closet. We haz detonation of the teensiest little atmosphere bomb ever. And I can sleep easier. As one does after a rousing bout of flatulence. But before I digress so...pungently, what word, DJ-like, saved your day this weekend?

Oh, and post-detonation, the following momentum did ensue:

55139 / 85000 words. 65% done!

10 comments:

Alesa Warcan | May 2, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Hmm... Cunning? Does this closet eat people? Is it a knowing fan of soylent green (aka the anthro-nomnom closet)? Does it lure children with the promise of magical fantasy lands only to flay their souls from their bodies and consume them in primeval darkness? Intriguing indeed!

The winning word this weekend is wings! New wings to put Hermes' to shame... Delight delight!

Zoe C. Courtman | May 2, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Actually, the word I ended up going with was "cunningLY," on account of the cunning way it was designed. Which obviously couldn't be the work of the closet itself, since it's inanimate. Cheers for both!! LOVE any kind of wings that put Hermes' to shame. Nice! (and thanks for stopping by.) :D

Alesa Warcan | May 2, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Aww... Shucks. I was digging the sentient malevolent closet idea.
-
2 Am, the bar is about to close. It's a real dive. A battered prefab closet is leaning against the counter in front of an empty bottle of jack, a half empty glass, and an ashtray full crushed cigarette butts. Only the bored looking bartender is left.

The wardrobe's speach is slurred as it rants to itself or perhaps at the almost empty glass...
"Man... I'm teling you... Yeah. That's right! I'm frickin eating the next kid who looks for fauns in my gut."
-
Joking set aside, I guess cunningly makes more sense. :j

It has consistently been a pleasure to visit so far: that's twice now that you've pressed my glib button. Hope you don't mind!

Jarmara Falconer | May 3, 2010 at 2:03 AM

Don't you just love the way words play with our minds. Or, do we play with them, I'm never quite sure.

Lindsay (a.k.a Isabella) | May 3, 2010 at 5:39 AM

I love the word cunning. It reminds me or Roald Dahls' Fantastic Mr. Fox.
The word that saved me this weekend was SLITHERED. So much better than "He walked..."

Carolyn V. | May 3, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Oh I love that word! It says so much with so little! =)

Liza | May 3, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Cunning feels like "cute." Cunningly...feel a little crafty...but perhaps another description would clarify instead of that pesky "ly?"

Zoe C. Courtman | May 3, 2010 at 5:40 PM

lol - Alesa! Thanks for the compliment - and for the delicious little story nuggets!!

Oh, definitely, Jarmara. I think it goes both ways - and I LOVE learning how to wield a word so that it precisely does my evil bidding. :D Thanks for commenting!

Lindsay - nice "slither"! *sigh* active verbs make me happy :)

Hey, Carolyn. I know, right? Great little word. Tidy little word. It's delicious :D

Hey, Liza! Yeah, I was going for that crafty kind of feel. I had to go on and tack on the -ly, but as long as the rest of the page isn't littered with 'em, I think I'm okay. Thanks for popping by!!

Palindrome | May 6, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Cunning is a delicious word. I shall use it today!

Zoe C. Courtman | May 6, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Hey, Palindrome! Thanks for stopping in; I love the word, too. Use it deliciously!! :D

Post a Comment