A Blogfest For Me Berfday

EDIT: Blogfest now canceled due to some voracious, snarling creatures that have begun to close ranks around me...

As usual, when it came to the decision to host a blogfest, I was of two minds. One, I wanted to do something fun for zee berfday, which happens to be June 28. And B, I remember being intrigued by the idea of a cognitive dissonance (don't panic, the explanation is below) blogfest. I think, somehow, that Roland was involved in this conversation. Anyway, being of two minds, the natural answer was to present ye olde:


and do it just in time for my birthday. Rules iz simple, yo:
  1. Sign your name across my heart below in the linky widget by June 28th.
  2. Tell somebody about it, if you're so inspired. Dudes. I love link lurve!
  3. Write your cognitive dissonance scene - I toldya, the explanation is beneath the linky thing.
  4. Post your scene on June 28th, remembering to link back here in said scene post.
  5. Hop your twisted minds back here on June 28th to read and comment on everyone's entries.
  6. Make like Lady MacBeth and wash your hands to rid yourselves of all that cog diss anxiety :)







    Wait - what's that, you ask? What in tarnation is cognitive dissonance? Oh, that's easy. It's just the "discomfort when self-image collides with reality." Like, you tell a lie but believe you're basically an honest person and now you're all skeeved out. Or you want something you'll never have - and have anxiety over it.

    Or, say you're like me, a commie liberal. Say you're also, like me, a freelance writer/editor who does press kits for a coupla Simon & Schuster and Little, Brown imprints.

    One day, you're asked to write up a press kit for a right wing pastor who basically calls Obama the Anti-Christ. You don't want to be a sell-out. But you value your clients and your raging objectivity. So you do a BANG. UP. FREAKIN. JOB. on the kit, and now must live with the little fishtail of anxiety that wiggles in your stomach. Yep, m'dears, that's cognitive dissonance. FUN STUFF, right?

    I hope so. And in case you didn't click on my Terence Trent D'Arby link above, you must now be subjected to his 80s loveliness as punishment for your disobedience. What, you like Terence but feel guilty because you have an image to maintain? Ah, yes. Cog diss, man. Cog diss.

    21 comments:

    Tessa Conte | May 23, 2010 at 12:11 PM

    Added you to my list of blogfests/contests my dear (see me blog). Will try to take part!

    Sangu | May 23, 2010 at 12:42 PM

    Yay, sounds fun! Thanks for your lovely comment about the madness that was my week!

    Just to make sure I've got it right (because I'm daft when it comes to psychology): pretty much it's someone doing something they object to on a personal level and then feeling awful about it later? (kinda)

    Zoe C. Courtman | May 23, 2010 at 12:50 PM

    Thanks, Tessa! I'd love to see your scene :D

    Hi, Sangu! Yep, you're right on. But it doesn't have to be something you object to, it's just being of two conflicting minds about something. I.e, you want something but know you'll never have it (and feel anxiety because of it).

    Iapetus999 | May 23, 2010 at 12:57 PM

    Added to my list. Say, didn't I suggest this in the first place? ;)

    Roland D. Yeomans | May 23, 2010 at 1:12 PM

    That's Andrew for you, hitting you in the face with reality. Reality! Humph. Over-rated if you ask me.

    I'm in. Rats, the phone is going off. Another blood-run before I even start my regular hours. Never boring being me, Roland

    Zoe C. Courtman | May 23, 2010 at 1:17 PM

    Hey, Andrew! I *knew* I'd come across this idea in some discussion in the blogosphere - so mayhap it was you! If so, THANKS for the idea!

    Hey, Roland! You made it :) Can't wait to see your scene. Hope the rather complicated psychological concept doesn't scare anyone off. It's not actually difficult - maybe just needs some 'splainin. Thanks for signing up!!

    Olivia Herrell | May 23, 2010 at 3:13 PM

    I'm in! Your berfday is two days before mine (bet I'm older!). Okay if I celebrate with ya??

    ~That Rebel, Olivia

    Zoe C. Courtman | May 23, 2010 at 3:18 PM

    Hey, Olivia! Thanks for visiting! And it's TOTALLY okay for us Cancers to celebrate together! Rawk on, berfday girl ;)

    ~Nicole Ducleroir~ | May 23, 2010 at 5:16 PM

    Hi Zoe! I want to participate in your most awesome blogfest challenge...but I'm going to be in France for three weeks and your birthday falls right smack dab in the middle of our trip. If I can work out a scene and schedule the post before I leave, I'll be sure to sign up. Hope I can pull it off! Oh course, half the fun of a blogfest is reading everyone else's entries, and I won't have internet access over there...

    I'll definitely let you know though :))

    Iapetus999 | May 23, 2010 at 10:58 PM

    Sorry Roland, I guess I have a nose for the internet.

    Lydia Kang | May 23, 2010 at 11:01 PM

    Hey gurl!
    I loooovvvee that TTD song! He was such the thing way back when! Okay, I'm totally chickens**t about posting my fiction, so I'm going to pass until you can somehow manage to bullwhip me into posting my stuff someday.
    My second excuse is I'm working 14 straight days the last half of June so I'll be kind of out of it then.
    Awesome idea! I'd expect no less from the great ZC!

    lbdiamond | May 24, 2010 at 11:22 AM

    Zoe, I'm all over it! Cognitive Dissonance is so psych it's not even funny! Let's hope I can post something that captures it. In fact, my WIP may just be the ticket--hmmm...

    Lydia, you ARE a GREAT writer--don't be chickens**t about it, cuz I said so, 'kay?

    Zoe C. Courtman | May 24, 2010 at 11:30 AM

    Hey, Lydia :D You know you don't have to post something from your WIP, right? You can totally just whip something up on the spot - and boy, do I ever encourage you to whip it up! Whip it up!

    Laura! SO excited to see that you signed up!! Thanks so much! And I know right? Totally psych. In fact, I'm scared that it's so psych that it'll psych people right out of participating. I can't wait to see your scene!! Thanks again :D

    G.~ | May 24, 2010 at 12:07 PM

    Hi Zoe. I have been browsing blogs this morning and I didn't want to lurk without posting so hello there.

    It looks like you have a lot of fun here. Very creative blog.

    Talli Roland | May 24, 2010 at 12:13 PM

    What a cool idea for a blogfest. I'd love to participate but sadly I have enough reasons to distract myself from edits! I'll enjoy reading from the sidelines, though.

    Zoe C. Courtman | May 24, 2010 at 12:27 PM

    Hey, G! Thanks for popping in - hope to see you around more. Also went and checked out your blog - nice! I'll be dropping in there, too :D

    Hi, Talli! Ugh - I comPLETEly understand about that! (Don't tell anyone, but I'm wondering if I'll have enough time to participate in MY OWN blogfest for the exact same reasons. Sigh.) But thanks for commenting :D

    Danyelle | May 24, 2010 at 2:29 PM

    Awesome choice. >:) Cognitive dissonance has so many wonderful possibilities!

    Zoe C. Courtman | May 24, 2010 at 2:46 PM

    Doesn't it just?? Thanks, Danyelle, for popping in and commenting!!

    Vagabonde | May 24, 2010 at 10:10 PM

    I came to look at your blog because I heard about it from Alesa of Questing for Food. I like your style. I have a blog but no writing style, because when I want to write something nice I think first in French, then translate it and it does not sound good. In English my prose is standard. I live in Cobb County and do not know another blogger close by so it’s nice to know you are in the area. I could never write for a right wing pastor, even if I could write, so I admire your sang-froid (google translates this as “composure” ) Then again I don’t know a right wing pastor (which is why after so many years we still don’t know many people around here.) I’ll come back to read more.

    Elana Johnson | May 25, 2010 at 12:14 PM

    Cool blogfest! And hey, you won a book at What Writers Read yesterday! Email me!

    Zoe C. Courtman | May 25, 2010 at 1:05 PM

    Hey, Elana! Wow - I won a book! How awesome is that? Thanks!!!

    Post a Comment