Back in Black

The doldrums. I haz them.

Although it's a pretty normal state for me - one somewhere between Soul Crushing Melancholia, Population: Me and the Black Saturnine Wastes of Existence, Population: Me - it's also a state that happens to be completely detrimental to things like writing. Or, yanno, blogging (did you miss me?)

Or functioning in any recognizable way.

BUT. Luckily for me, there exist two things:

1) First, this lovely piece by the GaGa, who'll play us in:

Listen! GaGa Is Full Of emLove/em

2) And second: The lovely, life-saving phenomenon of Those Posts Which Have Been Created Sorta In Advance. Which, now that GaGa has played us in, I shall commence (and, being dark in nature, it fits with my rather churlish mood):

#SEGUEFAIL

Yanno, the ways in which we purposely thwart ourselves amazes me. Take me, for example. I read recently that people generally find blogs with dark backgrounds harsh on the eyes (though, thanks to my friend Lisa, I realized that's mainly when the contrasting text is, like, lime green or, worse, gray). So I changed mine, found a happy, cheerful, bright template and went with it.

And promptly spasmed into an anxiety of hellish proportions. Because, dudes. If the preamble to this post didn't alertcha, I have to let you know that I'm dark.

I'M DARK AS HELL.

Seriously? As I recalled to some friends recently, I used to tell my Goth peeps that I didn't need to wear black clothes because my SOUL (spoken in Alan Rickman's voice, natch) was black enough.

 If I were any darker, and had that cool-ass voice, and was, yanno, a dude, I'd be Snape.

Did I also mention that I'm unusually, weirdly sensitive to my environment? I am. Let the sun slice just so through a Tuesday afternoon and I'm jacked for the entire day.

You know why these guys are so freakin GRIM? It's the weird fucking sun.I'm telling you. No one could be smiley with that sallow ocher awfulness behind them.

Nope, I'm not kidding and yep, it's weird. Turns out, that environment also includes my blog. Which is back to reflecting me in all my dark loveliness. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some life-draining lugubriousness to attend to...*slinks away into shadow*

12 comments:

Shannon O'Donnell | May 10, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Your blog should suit you and your tastes. I do appreciate the light and more readable text, though! If you're happy, it's all good. :-)

vbtremper | May 10, 2010 at 5:04 PM

We're kindreds in more than just the language ways, apparently. Some days I absolutely share your melancholia. Luckily, I always manage to come out the other side. Hope you're feeling better. At least know that your comment on my blog had me ROFL!

Vicki

Lizard301 | May 10, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Your melancholia is but one facet of your complex, multifaceted self, and I love every piece of you.

Now snap out of it, dammit.

I *NEED* you to be my Voice Of Reason, or at least commiserate with me as one mother to another. THAT'S what this is! Sympathy self loathing! Are you getting a 45 year old son in law TOO?

Alesa Warcan | May 10, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Pfeh, that's small time... ; j
----
I'm too gloomy for my friends too gloomy for my friends
Friends are going to flee me

I'm too gloomy to wear black too gloomy to wear black
So gloomy tan people go pale standing next to me

And I'm too gloomy for my blog too gloomy for a bog
A crypt or a catacomb

And I'm too gloomy for blablabla...
----
Over done song mockery set aside... I dig dark and I like your color scheme. I don't feel it would be enhanced with purple unicorns and pink carebears, though I did once write a piece about carebears... They served as decoration on the sharp bits of a gothic cathedral.

Gloom away comrade, I raise my chalice of penthos to you and shall drain it with a flourish.

Indigo | May 10, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Embrace the melancholy. I have my days and then I have my days. Then again I live in a totally silent world right now...(Hugs)Indigo

Lydia Kang | May 10, 2010 at 9:28 PM

Stay in the shadows, my dear. You're a vision wrapped up in a cloak of darkness. And we love you that way!

divaluxe | May 10, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Exactly! I was at a friend's house and their living room had lots of windows and lots of sun coming in, and I had to run to another room. I told them I was a vampire - no direct sunlight for me!

Lizard301 | May 10, 2010 at 10:54 PM

@ divaluxe -- I just blame being Irish. :)

I even have a t-shirt that says Keep Out Of Direct Sunlight.

Carolyn V. | May 10, 2010 at 11:38 PM

I think you should have your blog the way you want it. =)

Liza | May 11, 2010 at 10:10 AM

I could hear Alan Rickman as I read.

Aubrie | May 11, 2010 at 10:45 AM

I love Alan Rickman! He plays such a wonderful Snipe, and was good in Sense and Sensibility as well.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm following yours. Although I don't write horror, I love to read it. So you've got one fan over here.

Demon Hunter | May 11, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Wow, are we related, Zoe. :-D

Post a Comment