Paging Seth BrundleFly...

I'm not quite at the point where I can quote "The Fly" word for word (the '86 Cronenberg, not the '58 Neuman - although the '58 had Vincent! Price! Yesh, we love Vincent Price). Anyway, while I can't quote the movie as it unfolds (except for: "I only have one word for you.... *splays giant Goldblum fingers* ...cheeseburger.") I yam a pretty diehard fan of it.

Every time that sucker shows up in some Saturday afternoon or Monday night programming randomness--Man. I have to watch.

So last night, I spot it and tell myself, I'm just gonna peek. For a second. But before I know it, I'm cringing as BrundleFlyPod hefts the end of Geena Davis's shotgun and places it next to his bulging eyeball and those twitching antennae. And I'm tearing up - and am once again thinking, this is one great friggin horror story. So, what makes it work?

There's Seth Brundle, for starters (the man does science at home late at night!). Veronica, the journalist who breaks the science down for us. Then there's foreshadowing! Dread! Guts! Blood! Noisy computers! Lust! Tears! Regret! Icky ex-boyfriends named Stathis! Actual horror of the ack-I'm-actually-yanno-horrified-for-a-moment variety! Smoking inside buildings cuz it was the 80s! Humor!

JEFF GOLDBLUM'S CLENCHED ASS!  

(Oh. My. God. I had the hugest high-school crush on Jeff Goldblum, y'all. I can't even describe it. And that scene where he's naked after teleporting in front of that skank he brought home from the bar--?? Sigh. No, you don't understand. You. Really. CanSee. Goldblum's. Golden. Buttcheeks. Clenched.)

Anyway, my strange crush* on Jeff Goldblum aside, the movie is a near perfect example of characterization. You know why?

Because at no point in the story did I forget the fingernail-peeling, ear-dropping, acid-vomiting creature was...Seth.  

Gasp! Even now, I weep inside for what he's done to himself! Oh, the horror. The agony. The lost chances. It's poignant yet revolting at the same time. Perfection.

*Waitaminute. What do you mean, "OMG, you actually had a crush on Jeff Goldblum?" You didn't? The height! The gesturing! Those pauses! The swagger! THIS:
I have strange crushes. This probably *isn't* the time to go into my crush on Tim Curry. AS DR. FRANK N. FURTER. Yes, I'm fully aware that he was portraying a bisexual transvestite. But OMG, didn't you see that...pause? In "Sweet Transvestite?" Yanno, the one that went, "antici.........................*widens eyes*.................pation?" You didn't die of that? Cuz it was so freaking hot? Okay, so it was only me. But weren't we talking about Jeff Goldblum anyway? Sheesh.

Dudes. A romp with Goldblum would be like a fleshstorm with a 90% chance of satisfaction (at least around the 4:24 mark). Oh, man. And now I can't even watch LOST, on account of Alex, who apparently has taken my strange crush on a now 57-year-old actor and made him her strange crush on a now 57-year old actor. *sigh* Bet she hasn't even seen MR. FROST. Or TENSPEED AND BROWNSHOE (Ben Vereen--!!). But let's hope she's at least seen THE FLY.

Because I have. Caught it on television last night, and it brought up all the aforementioned emotion. Which makes it pretty freaking great entertainment. That is all.

17 comments:

Shannon O'Donnell | April 20, 2010 at 11:38 AM

I've always LOVED Jeff Goldblum! :-)

Zoe C. Courtman | April 20, 2010 at 11:47 AM

THANK YOU!! The man is awesome swagger-sauce. :D Thanks for popping in!

JustineDell | April 20, 2010 at 12:17 PM

I always did like that movie. And, I agree - he's hot. ;-)

~JD

Zoe C. Courtman | April 20, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Thanks, Justine! I love it too, for aforementioned reasons. Sigh. And you also agree - that he's hot?? AWESOME!! I'm not alone in my strangeness!! lol.

Matthew Rush | April 20, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Okay first of all your new photo is awesome!

Now I'll go read your post.

Zoe C. Courtman | April 20, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Matthew - you totally just made my day!! Thanks :D

Matthew Rush | April 20, 2010 at 1:01 PM

Great post. I love that movie too. In fact I even LIKE Jeff Goldblum. Sure he's completely typecast, sure he now only plays characters that are MEANT to annoy you - but the guy is a pretty damn good actor. Yeah there are better actors out there but there are plenty worse ones as well.

I always loved him in Jurassic Park - an otherwise mediocre movie once the CGI became old.

P.S. And you're welcome, it's not like the old one was bad - just hard to make out.

Zoe C. Courtman | April 20, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Thanks, Matthew. THE FLY just has so many elements that work that I wanted to figure out what they were - and how I could use them in my own work!! (Minus Jeff, who, while he's smoking hot for me personally, doesn't actually do it for me as an ACTOR. You're right, he's typecast as hell - but it's sorta his own fault. See: gestures.) LOL :D

Voidwalker | April 20, 2010 at 1:10 PM

I'm a fan of Jeff Goldblum, but probably not for the same reasons as you. LOL. Actually, definitely not for the same reasons hehe. You crack me up. This post was great. If you see my post today, I'm pretty darn sure I know what your answer would be to my posted question today ;)

Zoe C. Courtman | April 20, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Hey, Voidwalker! Thanks for dropping in! Just moseyed on over to your blog and told you who I'd choose. And, nope, not Goldblum. :D

elizabeth mueller | April 20, 2010 at 6:00 PM

LOL, I thought he was cute, too

Zoe C. Courtman | April 20, 2010 at 7:07 PM

:D Thanks for dropping in, Elizabeth!

Lydia Kang | April 20, 2010 at 10:18 PM

OMG, your post was so awesome I couldn't stop reading. And I totally see the Jeff Goldblum allure. I see it. Yep.

Zoe C. Courtman | April 20, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Aw, Lydia--! What an awesome compliment. Thanks!! And blog chain tomorrow! :D

Lisa K. | April 21, 2010 at 11:26 AM

I haven't seen that movie in years. Now I MUST SEE IT AGAIN!!! And you're so right -- there's a lot to be learned about characterization from this film.

Zoe C. Courtman | April 21, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Hey, Lisa! I know, right? It's a fantastic movie, and it just fires on all cylinders, yanno? Thanks for commenting!!

Ricki Schultz | May 26, 2010 at 1:00 PM

No, I've always been into Jeff Goldblum for sure.

He's just sexy in a very...strange way.

Loved him in JURASSIC PARK. And on WILL & GRACE? The bomb.com :)

Post a Comment