Living Just Enough...for the City

Dang, those lyrics just took me all the way back to 1991 and New Jack City. Who doesn't remember bad-ass Wesley Snipes (before he went all Daywalker on us??) What, you don't? 'Scuse me while I drive-by-Snipe ya:

ANYWAY. So. I'm a recluse. (And I'm bi-racial, which makes me a BROWN recluse, heh heh.) I tend to hide myself away by being a freelance copywriter while actively pursuing a transition to working novelist - and the lifestyle? Yeah. A lot of keyboard, a lot of couch, a lot of novels, and a lot of me. Inside. Which suits me fine.

I'm sorta like the chupacabra: many claim to have seen me, some grainy photographs may have made their way around the interwebz, but few are really sure if I exist.

SO. All these months and weeks monk-ed away in my home office/library/personal bell tower are wonderful for writing. But they're also detrimental to writing because, yanno,

you have to live to be able to write.

Which for me is sorta insanely difficult, because of aforementioned reclusive-ness. BUT. Today, I'm gonna let my hair out of its usual corral - POW! (no, y'all don't understand. It's like a sheep exploded on my head so...explosively that it may or may not require a zoning permit in certain zip codes.)

Permit secured, I'm gonna put on my flowy-est sundress, toss on some shades and spend the weekend in gaw-juss Savannah with one of my oldest, dearest and bestest friends. May or may not involve mint juleps,  rocking chairs and hundred-year-old oaks. Will definitely involve carbs. And hopefully, yanno, some Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil-style inspiration, cuz that's what going outside and living is supposed to do (wise-cracking trannies optional) for a writer.

But before I go, and speaking of friends, I got this lovely, vibrantly green award from the also lovely (but ye gads I hope not vibrantly green) Lindsay a.k.a. Isabella (thanks, Lindsay!! Did you receive the book??):

Per official-style rules, I'm 'posed to forward on to seven other bloggers, and link to the original award post, and enter my deets in the Mr. Linky at the bottom of that original post :D Have you checked out Lindsay's blog? What? Get thee to Adventures in Writing post haste!! And then check out THESE seven wonders of the blogging world, cuz they're awesome like that:


Thanks, Lindsay, and the seven bloggers for blog experiences I always look forward to :D Now if you'll excuse me, cobblestones and a riverwalk beckon...


22 comments:

Matthew Rush | April 16, 2010 at 9:53 AM

Morning Zoe, thanks for the shout out! I love Wesley Snipes, we were just watching White Men Can't Jump last night on cable, I forgot how funny that movie was.

Is he still in prison for tax-evasion?

Today's guest blogger is Rachel Alpine!

Lydia Kang | April 16, 2010 at 9:53 AM

Yes, go out and live a little! Show off that gorgeous brown recluse of yourself in that dress and have a blast!
Congrats on the award!

The Alliterative Allomorph | April 16, 2010 at 9:56 AM

Aw thanks Zoe! That's very sweet. thanks for thinking of me! :)

JustineDell | April 16, 2010 at 10:14 AM

So, since your a brown recluse, does than mean if you bite someone they'll get a nasty puss filled appendage that could fall off if not treated? Ewh... lol

~JD

Creepy Query Girl | April 16, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Congratulations on the award and thanks for sending it on to me! You're awesome! I know what you mean about being a hermit- I've always been that way- Even during highschool and college years. My friends had to use a crowbar to get my arse off the couch and out the door.

Zoe C. Courtman | April 16, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Hey, Matthew. You're welcome! And, hurm, dunno re: jailed Snipes. I'll hasta check into it...

Thanks, Lydia! I'm gonna try my darndest, reculsive best to be not so darn, yanno, reclusive :D

You're welcome, Jessica! You've got a great blog!

Justine - yep. It's just one of the many services I offer :D

Creepy - You're welcome! Ah, a fellow hermit. *sigh* Then you know what I'm going through. Anyone else'd be all, Savannah! Awesome! Fun! Sun! Oaks! Me, I'm all...*whispers while wringing hands* Cripes. Must go out. Into sunshine...Erghk.

Voidwalker | April 16, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Congratz to you! I have only seen a few posts from you so far, but I'm thoroughly convinced that this blog will be one of my more frequented. I really enjoy your writing style. Thank you very much for passing the award on to me! :)

Zoe C. Courtman | April 16, 2010 at 11:29 AM

You're so welcome, Voidy! I have the exact same sentiment toward your blog: that it's definitely becoming one I check out regularly :) Happy writing!

Liza | April 16, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Thank you Zoe! What a nice Friday treat! Enjoy Savannah! I'm envious, as this is one Northern girl who loves that city (and dragged family and friends to Bonaventure Cemetery the last time I was there, which they thought was odd. Hmmm, where would they get that idea?) Hope you encounter lots of inspiration over the weekend.

Lola Sharp | April 16, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Wise-cracking trainees are not optional, they're a must. Love the Lady that is Chablis.

FYI: I'm off to frolic for the weekend, but before I go, there will be a little something for you on my blog today.

~Lola

Lola Sharp | April 16, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Sorry about the TRANNIES ...my auto-spell self corrected me. I hate when it does that. It just doesn't appreciate my slang usage at all.

OfficeGirl | April 16, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Wesley Snipes is just fun! My brother actually has Wesley Snipes Wednesday's at his house! Glad to be here! Congrats to award winners!!

Lisa K. | April 16, 2010 at 11:32 PM

I hope you have a lovely time in Savannah, Zoe. I know what you mean about that reclusivity. I transcribe for a living and spend the bulk of the rest of my time pursuing a career as a writer. It doesn't leave much time for the rest of the world. *sigh*

And thank you so much for the blog award. You made my day!

:-)
Lisa

Deb Salisbury | April 17, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Hello, fellow hermit. (waves) I understand *completely*. Have fun in Savannah!

Lindsay (a.k.a Isabella) | April 17, 2010 at 4:22 PM

Thanks for the shout out and I'm glad you like the award:) Still not recieved the book yet but I'm blaming the ash cloud over the UK. Hmphhhh. I look like a mad woman checking the post every morning.lol.

Alleged Author | April 17, 2010 at 6:12 PM

I heard that song at least 5 times this week and I never hear it. How funny. :)

Lisa and Laura | April 18, 2010 at 9:48 AM

Congrats on the award! If it weren't for Lisa, I'd be a complete hermit as well...I feel like I write best that way :)

Slushpile Slut | April 18, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Hey Zoe...You are too funny, brown recluse and chupacabre...LOL! Hope you had a nice w-end getting out from behind your keyboard!

Slushpile Slut | April 18, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Hey again Zoe! Just saw your pic and I have to say...I love your hair! Sorry for the randomness!

elizabeth mueller | April 18, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Congrats, Zoe! LOL, I can so relate to a lotta couch and keyboard! Thanks for the fun post! :)

K.M. Weiland | April 19, 2010 at 12:23 PM

"A lot of keyboard, a lot of couch, a lot of novels, and a lot of me." Sounds familiar! Sounds quite lovely, actually.

Zoe C. Courtman | April 20, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Thanks so much for all the comments, guys! AND the hermit love! It's always so nice to hear from people who understand life as I do - especially the WRITING life. Thanks for the support, and for stopping in! I'm checking out your blogs, too!!

Post a Comment